Now to counter-balance my whining and complaining, on the flip side of things, here’s some stuff I’ve really been enjoying lately:
Apple TV+. I wouldn’t ordinarily subscribe to yet another streaming service, but it’s included with our Apple One subscription so it’s basically a freebie. The search and highlighting of shows within Apple TV+ suuuucks but there’s some really hidden gems in there. Some of these you’ve maybe heard of, but maybe not:
- Defending Jacob. I binge watched this entire series on a single ~11 hour plane ride. It was SO good, highly recommend it. A student is murdered and one of his classmates is the main suspect.
- Hijack. We’ve been watching this show every week after it gets released, and it’s so good! The series finale is next week, and I can’t wait to see what happens. There have been a number of twists and turns.
- The Morning Show. The first season was phenomenal, my wife and I binge watched the whole season in a little over a week. The second season we didn’t love, and we’re excited to see if the upcoming season three brings back some of the magic of the first season.
- For All Mankind. We all know that the US won the space race by landing a man on the moon first, but what would happen if we the Soviets did instead? Really interesting premise that gets pretty thoroughly explored.
- Tehran. A really great show all about Israeli spies in Iran. Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? It’s hard to say because you want each character to win. Season three is coming soon!
- Trying. Maybe I’m biased because we are an adoptive family, but this series follows a couple who want to become parents through adoption. There are some hilariously good moments in this one. And one of my new favorite songs was written for this show.
- The family and friends of the main characters are all extremely supportive, in their own way, and try to help wherever they can. One of my favorite scenes is where the grandfather shows up with a bed he made at 8am and he gets asked: “You made a bed before 8 in the morning?” And he responds, “No, I made two beds. After making the first one, I knew I had a better one in me.”
- Ted Lasso. Everyone has heard about this one. It wasn’t my favorite show, but I really enjoyed it. The redemption arc in the second to last episode in the final season makes the whole show worth it, in my opinion.
- Shrinking. I really enjoyed Harrison Ford in this show.
- Loot. Loved this one, every bit of it. I kept joking it’s the MacKenzie Bezos story, and honestly it’s probably not too far off.
- Invasion. Here’s another plane-binge show, one that I binged on a few long flights last year. Season two is coming out in a couple weeks and I’m looking forward to where it’s gonna go.
I’m really looking forward to Strange Planet which is coming out soon. This makes it seem like every show was amazing, and there have been some duds. But I’m pretty consistently impressed with the diversity and quality of shows on TV+.